September 9, 2016
Dear Hummingbird Parents,
We had another great week in the Hummingbird Classroom! We have been working a lot on character and habits and we play a lot of games that help us with our language arts and math.
- Hummingbird Star – our character word for this week was trustworthy. We talked about it each morning and applied it throughout the week.
- Listening and following directions – we continued to work on these skills, as we will for the rest of the year, I’m sure. We practiced listening with our eyes and our ears and doing it the first time. We also practiced following directions that were 2, 3, and 4 steps. I’ve attached a listening activity you can try at home.
- Phonics/Spelling/Reading/Handwriting – we continued practicing our uppercase manuscript letters, beginning sounds, and sight words.
- Math – we learned about positions including top, middle, bottom, before, after, between, inside, and outside. Please work on these positions at home…we need the practice! We also started classifying and looking at patterns. There is a sheet in the yellow folder with activities you can practice at home as well.
- I am seeing lots of yawning throughout the day. Because our days are so long, I am going to incorporate a rest time directly after recess so we can regroup and be ready for learning. Please send in a small blanket or towel and make sure your children are getting the recommended sleep (10-12 hours) every night.
- Library is every Thursday. Please remember to return your child’s books so he/she can take out two more books.
- Show and Tell is every Friday. Remember to have your child choose something special to share with the class.
- Yellow folders go home on Fridays and need to be returned on Monday, or the next school day.
- Remember to fill out the Reading Tree Form and turn it in on Monday in the yellow folder. So far, we have 16 leaves on the tree!
- Fridays are hot lunch. Remember to send in $4 on Monday if your child will be eating hot lunch.
- If you haven’t already, please remember to send in remaining supplies from the supply list…especially a change of clothes.
- We go outside every day. I would suggest applying bug spray before you leave in the morning or sending in spray to be applied here.
My hope is that all this information will help you reinforce at home what we are learning in the classroom. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me via email and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
All my best,
Kris Straub (a.k.a. Ms. Strauberry)